Sunday, December 26, 2010 4:50 AM
For those who don't know, Apple has already patched the untethered patch in iOS 4.2.1 update so it becomes tethered jailbreak on new-gen iDevices mentioned above. Being tethered jailbroken means that once your iPhone is successfully jailbroken, you'll need to connect your iPhone to your computer if you ever need to reboot your iPhone or your iPhone loses battery charge. The updates Redsn0w 0.9.7b1 brings untethered jailbreak for those devices on iOS 4.2.1.
Below is the full step-by-step guide to jailbreak your iDevice using Redsn0w 0.9.7b1 and get untethered jailbreak immediately.
Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 Untethered With Redsn0w 0.9.7b1 [How To] :
1) Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 with Redsn0w by following the step by step instructions.
2) Once jailbroken, tap on Cydia and check if your 4.2b3 SHSH blobs are saved or not. You should see "SHSH: 4.2b3" in the status as shown in the screenshot below:
3) Now download Redsn0w 0.9.7b1 from the links given below and connect your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.
4) Since this is a beta release, you must have usbmuxd that can be downloaded from here. Now start terminal in python-client directory then type in the following commands :
chmod +x tcprelay.py
./tcprelay.py -t 22:2222
5) Now start Redsn0w 0.9.7b1 and point it to the official iOS 4.2.1 .IPSW file.
6) In the next page, check "Jailbreak Monte" which untethers your iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak then point it to iOS 4.2.1 beta 3 firmware.
7) Put your iDevice in DFU Mode using Redsn0w instructions on the screen.
Redsn0w will finish some steps and you will get untethered jailbreak on your new-gen iDevice.
Download Links :
Redsn0w 0.9.7b1 (Mac)
iPhone 4 iOS 4.2 beta 3
iPod touch 4G iOS 4.2 beta 3
iPad iOS 4.2 beta 3
Update 1 :
This is a beta release, and upcoming versions will bring support for Windows and will have built-in usbmuxd for easy process.
[via Redmond Pie]